Through 1 Quarter
We’ve got an early Upset Alert brewing as the New Orleans Pelicans have gotten out to a surprisingly quick start despite kicking off as a 9-point underdog. After one quarter neither team has the game in the bag, but the Pelicans lead 27-25 over the Dallas Mavericks. New Orleans took a hit to their ego this past Friday, so a victory here would be a pleasant pick-me-up.
New Orleans @ Dallas
Current Records: New Orleans 1-9; Dallas 6-3
What to Know
The New Orleans Pelicans will hit the road for the fourth straight game as they head to American Airlines Center at 8:30 p.m. ET on Monday. The Dallas Mavericks will be strutting in after a win while the Pelicans will be stumbling in from a defeat.
New Orleans’ and the Golden State Warriors’ contest this past Friday was up for grabs at halftime, but New Orleans was thoroughly outmatched 72-35 in the second half. It’s hard to picture a worse loss than the 126-85 bruising that New Orleans suffered. They were down 88-66 at the end of the third quarter, which was just too much to recover from. New Orleans’ defeat came about despite a quality game from center Jonas Valanciunas, who dropped a double-double on 20 points and 15 boards. That makes it eight consecutive games in which Valanciunas has had at least 11 rebounds.
Meanwhile, Dallas skirted by the Boston Celtics 107-104 this past Saturday thanks to a clutch 27-foot three from point guard Luka Doncic as the clock expired. Doncic and power forward Kristaps Porzingis were among the main playmakers for Dallas as the former shot 5-for-10 from downtown and finished with 33 points, five dimes and nine rebounds and the latter had 21 points along with seven rebounds.
The Pelicans are expected to lose this next one by 9.5. Those sticking with them against the spread have guts, to put it politely, as the team has let down bettors in their past three games.
New Orleans is now 1-9 while the Mavericks sit at 6-3. A couple defensive numbers to keep in mind before tip-off: New Orleans is stumbling into the matchup with the third most points allowed per game in the league, having given up 112.7 on average. Dallas has experienced some struggles of their own as they have allowed their opponents to shoot 46% from the floor on average, which is the fifth highest shooting percentage allowed in the league. It’s possible one of these Achilles’ heels will wind up tripping the losing team up.
How To Watch
- When: Monday at 8:30 p.m. ET
- Where: American Airlines Center — Dallas, Texas
- TV: Bally Sports – New Orleans
- Online streaming: fuboTV (Try for free. Regional restrictions may apply.)
- Follow: CBS Sports App
- Ticket Cost: $6.00
The Mavericks are a big 9.5-point favorite against the Pelicans, according to the latest NBA odds.
The oddsmakers had a good feel for the line for this one, as the game opened with the Mavericks as a 9-point favorite.
Dallas have won 12 out of their last 23 games against New Orleans.
- May 12, 2021 – Dallas 125 vs. New Orleans 107
- Mar 27, 2021 – New Orleans 112 vs. Dallas 103
- Feb 12, 2021 – Dallas 143 vs. New Orleans 130
- Mar 04, 2020 – Dallas 127 vs. New Orleans 123
- Dec 07, 2019 – Dallas 130 vs. New Orleans 84
- Dec 03, 2019 – Dallas 118 vs. New Orleans 97
- Oct 25, 2019 – Dallas 123 vs. New Orleans 116
- Mar 18, 2019 – New Orleans 129 vs. Dallas 125
- Dec 28, 2018 – New Orleans 114 vs. Dallas 112
- Dec 26, 2018 – Dallas 122 vs. New Orleans 119
- Dec 05, 2018 – New Orleans 132 vs. Dallas 106
- Mar 20, 2018 – New Orleans 115 vs. Dallas 105
- Mar 04, 2018 – New Orleans 126 vs. Dallas 109
- Dec 29, 2017 – Dallas 128 vs. New Orleans 120
- Nov 03, 2017 – New Orleans 99 vs. Dallas 94
- Mar 29, 2017 – New Orleans 121 vs. Dallas 118
- Feb 25, 2017 – Dallas 96 vs. New Orleans 83
- Dec 26, 2016 – New Orleans 111 vs. Dallas 104
- Nov 27, 2016 – Dallas 91 vs. New Orleans 81
- Jan 06, 2016 – Dallas 100 vs. New Orleans 91
- Jan 02, 2016 – New Orleans 105 vs. Dallas 98
- Nov 10, 2015 – New Orleans 120 vs. Dallas 105
- Nov 07, 2015 – Dallas 107 vs. New Orleans 98
Injury Report for Dallas
- Maxi Kleber: Out (Oblique)
Injury Report for New Orleans
- Brandon Ingram: Out (Hip)
- Herbert Jones: Out (Concussion)
- Zion Williamson: Out (Foot)
- Daulton Hommes: Out (Leg)