The Mets swept Tuesday’s unofficial doubleheader with the Marlins after winning game two, 3-1.
Here are the takeaways…
1. Marlins pitcher Edward Cabrera had faced the minimum through three, but in the fourth, game one hero Michael Conforto sent a ball to the upper deck to give the Mets a 2-0 lead. After Javier Baez‘s single, Jeff McNeil roped a ball into left-center field that was misplayed and rolled to the wall, sending Baez all the way home for the Mets’ third run of the inning.
2. Trevor Williams worked into and out of some early trouble with the help of a nice diving play from Pete Alonso, and wound up retiring 10 Marlins in a row. In the fifth, though, he put the tying run on base with one out, and Jesus Aguilar pinch hitting. He doubled to right, and knocked Williams out of the game. The Mets brought in Aaron Loup to get out of the jam. After he walked Jazz Chisholm to load the bases, Isan Diaz grounded into a 1-2-3 inning-ending double play.
That wrote the final line on Williams, who in his 4.2 innings allowed an unearned run on four hits while walking none and striking out four.
3. Seth Lugo came in the game in the sixth to hold the lead, but allowed his first two batters to reach base. But Lewin Diaz grounded out, and he struck out Sandy Leon and Magneuris Sierra to work out of the jam.
4. Edwin Diaz took the mound in the seventh, and retired the side in order, striking out two.
5. In his last 24 games, Conforto is hitting .274 with four homers, 12 RBI, and an .870 OPS (this includes game one of Tuesday’s doubleheader, which won’t actually count in this stretch – the game was technically played on April 11).
The Mets announced that Wednesday’s game against the Miami Marlins has been postponed due to rain. It will be made up as part of a single admission doubleheader Tuesday, September 28 beginning at 4:10 p.m.
Carlos Carrasco had been scheduled to take the bump against Miami’s Zach Thompson.
The Mets and Marlins still have one game left in this series, scheduled for Thursday at 7:10 p.m. on SNY.
Source: Yahoo Sports