Through 3 Quarters
The point spread is against the Detroit Pistons, but thus far the points are on their side. After three quarters it’s looking more and more like their high-powered offense is just too much for the Toronto Raptors as the Pistons lead 89-70.
Power forward Trey Lyles has led the way so far for Detroit, as he has 21 points along with six rebounds and two blocks. One thing Detroit has working against them is foul trouble: Hamidou Diallo, Killian Hayes, and Isaiah Stewart have all picked up some fouls.
Toronto has been relying on power forward Pascal Siakam, who has 19 points in addition to eight boards, and point guard Fred VanVleet, who has 15 points and nine assists. Siakam does need to be careful, however, as he is in foul trouble with four.
Toronto has been used to carrying a lead into the fourth quarter lately, so we’ll see how they respond to the deficit.
Toronto @ Detroit
Current Records: Toronto 20-18; Detroit 9-31
What to Know
The Toronto Raptors have been on the wrong side of a one-way rivalry with the Detroit Pistons and are hoping to record their first win since Jan. 31 of 2020. After a few days’ rest for both teams, they will meet up at 7 p.m. ET Jan. 14 at Little Caesars Arena. If the game is anything like Detroit’s 127-121 victory from their previous meeting in November of last year, the scorekeeper will be kept real busy.
The Raptors lost a heartbreaker to the Phoenix Suns when they met last March, and they left with a heavy heart again on Tuesday. It was close but no cigar for Toronto as they fell 99-95 to Phoenix. The top scorer for Toronto was small forward OG Anunoby (25 points).
Meanwhile, it’s never fun to lose, and it’s even less fun to lose 133-87, which was the final score in Detroit’s tilt against the Chicago Bulls on Tuesday. Detroit was down 97-66 at the end of the third quarter, which was just too much to recover from. Shooting guard Cade Cunningham wasn’t much of a difference maker for the Pistons; Cunningham picked up four fouls and turned the ball over six times en route to a 3-for-11, 8-point finish.
With both teams hitting sour notes in their previous games, they will no doubt be looking to produce a better outcome in this one. We’ll see which team satisfies their hunger and which team leaves with an empty stomach.
How To Watch
- When: Friday at 7 p.m. ET
- Where: Little Caesars Arena — Detroit, Michigan
- TV: The Sports Network
- Online streaming: fuboTV (Try for free. Regional restrictions may apply.)
- Follow: CBS Sports App
- Ticket Cost: $18.17
The Raptors are a big 9.5-point favorite against the Pistons, according to the latest NBA odds.
The line has drifted a bit towards the Raptors, as the game opened with the Raptors as a 7.5-point favorite.
Toronto have won 12 out of their last 21 games against Detroit.
- Nov 13, 2021 – Detroit 127 vs. Toronto 121
- Mar 29, 2021 – Detroit 118 vs. Toronto 104
- Mar 17, 2021 – Detroit 116 vs. Toronto 112
- Mar 03, 2021 – Detroit 129 vs. Toronto 105
- Jan 31, 2020 – Toronto 105 vs. Detroit 92
- Dec 18, 2019 – Toronto 112 vs. Detroit 99
- Oct 30, 2019 – Toronto 125 vs. Detroit 113
- Mar 17, 2019 – Detroit 110 vs. Toronto 107
- Mar 03, 2019 – Detroit 112 vs. Toronto 107
- Nov 14, 2018 – Detroit 106 vs. Toronto 104
- Apr 09, 2018 – Toronto 108 vs. Detroit 98
- Mar 07, 2018 – Toronto 121 vs. Detroit 119
- Feb 26, 2018 – Toronto 123 vs. Detroit 94
- Jan 17, 2018 – Toronto 96 vs. Detroit 91
- Apr 05, 2017 – Toronto 105 vs. Detroit 102
- Mar 17, 2017 – Toronto 87 vs. Detroit 75
- Feb 12, 2017 – Detroit 102 vs. Toronto 101
- Oct 26, 2016 – Toronto 109 vs. Detroit 91
- Feb 28, 2016 – Detroit 114 vs. Toronto 101
- Feb 08, 2016 – Toronto 103 vs. Detroit 89
- Jan 30, 2016 – Toronto 111 vs. Detroit 107
Injury Report for Detroit
- Bol Bol: Game-Time Decision (Not Injury Related)
- Frank Jackson: Out (Covid-19)
- Chris Smith: Out (Knee)
- Kelly Olynyk: Out (Knee)
- Isaiah Livers: Out (Foot)
- Jerami Grant: Out (Thumb)
Injury Report for Toronto
- Scottie Barnes: Game-Time Decision (Knee)
- Gary Trent Jr.: Out (Ankle)
- Isaac Bonga: Game-Time Decision (Ankle)