Saturday, October 16 2021

ESPN used to rely on two talented female sportscasters, Rachel Nichols and Maria Taylor, for some of its top basketball coverage. Going forward, the network isn’t going to have either.

Variety reports that ESPN has decided to cancel “The Jump,” the Nichols-led weekday daily basketball-news program and take the sportscaster off of NBA coverage. The decision comes after Nichols had become embroiled in a controversy after a video recording of her complaining about a colleague, Maria Taylor, getting a role she had been promised, spurring internal complaints and division within the Disney-owned sports-media giant. Taylor recently left ESPN and moved to NBC Sports.

More from Sportico.com

“We mutually agreed that this approach regarding our NBA coverage was best for all concerned,” David Roberts, senior vice president for NBA production at ESPN, said in a statement. “Rachel is an excellent reporter, host and journalist, and we thank her for her many contributions to our NBA content.” ESPN is expected to honor the remainder of Nichols’ contract, according to a person familiar with the matter, but her future assignments at the network remain unknown.

The decision is one of the first made by Roberts in the NBA role, which he only assumed in recent weeks. A spokesman for Nichols could not be reached for immediate comment. Sports Business Journal previously reported the decision.

Got to create a whole show and spend five years hanging out with some of my favorite people talking about one of my favorite things,” Nichols said on Twitter. “An eternal thank you to our amazing producers and crew. ‘The Jump’ was never built to last forever, but it sure was fun. More to come…”

ESPN intends to launch a new basketball program in time for start of the next NBA season in October. While personnel have not been announced, potential in-house anchors such as Malika Andrews and Ramona Shelburne could be among those up for consideration.

The decision would seem to bring an end to a controversy that has simmered within ESPN since July of last year. That’s when Nichols was caught on video speaking to representatives of LeBron James about ESPN’s decision to have Taylor host “NBA Countdown” during 2020’s NBA Finals. Her comments were recorded by a video camera she had left on and subsequently uploaded into ESPN’s system, where the footage was discovered and distributed by an employee. Nichols was frustrated that she hadn’t gotten the role, and suggested that ESPN’s interest in paying more attention to diversity was a factor in the decision. The matter boiled over after the New York Times reported that some employees who helped produce ESPN’s basketball coverage may have been choosing sides, and even drew comments from Adam Silver, the NBA Commissioner.

Best of Sportico.com

Source: Yahoo Sports

Previous

Report: ESPN removes Rachel Nichols from all NBA programming in fallout over Maria Taylor spat

Next

T-wolves seal deal with Grizzlies for ace defender Beverley

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Check Also

Pro Sports Media

Trending Now

Warriors’ Jonathan Kuminga to miss preseason finale with injury

Jonathan Kuminga will not play in the Golden State Warriors‘ preseason finale on Friday versus the Portland Trail Blazers due to a right patellar tendon strain. Kuminga suffered the injury on Oct. 6 in the fourth quarter against the Denver Nuggets. The exact play when it occurred is not known but he left the game […]

Read More

Giants hurt by odd MLB rule in controversial NLDS loss vs. Dodgers

Odd MLB rule played role in Giants’ controversial NLDS loss originally appeared on NBC Sports Bayarea Perhaps it was fitting how the Giants’ season ended, done in by a controversial check-swing call in Game 5 of the National League Division Series after their power-packed offense went missing against the Los Angeles Dodgers. After all, the […]

Read More

Saudi-owned Newcastle begin bold bid for ‘superpower’ status

A new era beckons for Newcastle on Sunday when a packed St James’ Park will witness the Magpies’ first match since a takeover led by the Saudi sovereign wealth fund took control of the club. Amanda Staveley, one of Newcastle’s new directors, says the consortium’s ambition is to turn the struggling club into Premier League […]

Read More