Here are the takeaways….
– The Knicks started on a 6-0 run with a pair of three-pointers from RJ Barrett and Julius Randle, but it was the defense that was the story of the early-going holding the 76ers to 0-4 shooting in the opening minutes. The 76ers took the lead after a 16-5 run. Both teams struggled to score aside from what they could get at the free throw line. Barrett led the Knicks with eight points on three-of-five shooting. New York trailed 26-23 after the first quarter.
– Derrick Rose, after scoring four points off the bench in the first, scored the Knicks’ first five points in the second to give the team a spark. The combination of good Knicks defense and 76ers turnovers led to a 12-4 run for New York. Following a 76ers timeout, the Knicks went on a 12-6 run to extend their lead to 11. Kemba Walker would get hot at the end of the quarter scoring 10 straight points. The Knicks, shooting 67 percent in the quarter, went into halftime up 62-42.
– Both teams traded buckets early in the third quarter, including Joel Embiid’s first field goal–he had nine points prior to the made shot. After a back and forth, the Knicks made three straight three-pointers from Evan Fournier, Randle and Walker. The 76ers went on a 12-4 run to cut the Knicks’ lead to under 20 points. Walker dropped nine points in the third to help the Knicks take a 90-72 lead heading to the final quarter.
– The Knicks come out shooting cold to start the final quarter. They failed to score a point for the first three minutes, allowing Philadelphia to cut the lead to 14. The Knicks would respond with a 5-0 run to stop the 76ers’ attempt at a comeback. Despite the 76ers’ best effort, the Knicks hit some clutch shots to hold on for a double-digit victory.
– Walker finished with 19 points and five assists. Fournier posted 18 points on four for six shooting from three. Five Knicks scored in double digits while holding the 76ers to just 44 percent shooting.
The Knicks hit the road for a Thursday night game against the Bulls in Chicago at 8 p.m.
Source: Yahoo Sports