Sunday, October 17 2021

ESPN journalist Rachel Nichols, who had been a staple of the network’s NBA coverage, will no longer appear on the network’s NBA programming and the show she had been hosting will be canceled, according to a report.

The Sports Business Journal reported that Nichols was informed of the decision this week and that it is unlikely that Nichols will appear on the air for ESPN during the year-plus remaining on her contract with the network.

“We mutually agreed that this approach regarding our NBA coverage was best for all concerned,” ESPN senior vice president of production David Roberts said to the SBJ in a statement. “Rachel is an excellent reporter, host and journalist, and we thank her for her many contributions to our NBA content.”

This is the first major decision Roberts has made since he took over ESPN’s NBA production on Aug. 9.

The SBJ reported that “The Jump,” the afternoon show Nichols had been hosting, will run for the next couple of weeks, but that Nichols would not be hosting. The SBJ added that ESPN will launch a new afternoon NBA show, though details haven’t been finalized.

This move comes after a leaked recording of a phone conversation between Nichols and Adam Mendelsohn, the longtime adviser of Los Angeles Lakers star LeBron James. The conversation came during last year’s broadcast of the NBA Finals, when ESPN executives selected Maria Taylor over Rachel Nichols to be the primary host for the network’s coverage.

An unhappy Nichols discussed her frustration with not being chosen and Nichols expressed her opinion that Taylor got the assignment because the network was feeling pressure to improve its record on racial issues.

“I wish Maria Taylor all the success in the world — she covers football, she covers basketball,” Nichols said in an audio excerpt published by the New York Times. “If you need to give her more things to do because you are feeling pressure about your crappy longtime record on diversity — which, by the way, I know personally from the female side of it — like, go for it. Just find it somewhere else. You are not going to find it from me or taking my thing away.”

According to the Times, the call was recorded by a camera Nichols had in her hotel room that enabled her to appear on-camera from the NBA bubble. The contents were recorded to a video server at ESPN headquarters, where any number of employees could have accessed it.

At least one person recorded a copy of the call on a cellphone, the Times reported, and the contents soon spread throughout the company.

Nichols later issued an apology to Taylor, who has since left the company. During the most recent NBA Finals between the Milwaukee Bucks and the Phoenix Suns, Malika Andrews replaced Nichols as the sideline reporter for ESPN’s coverage of the event.

After Taylor left ESPN, NBC hired her.

Contributing: Steve Gardner

This article originally appeared on USA TODAY: ESPN removes Rachel Nichols from NBA programming, per report

Source: Yahoo Sports

Previous

Sixers 2022 NBA mock draft: Julian Champagnie provides more shooting

Next

ESPN Moves Rachel Nichols Off NBA Coverage, Cancels ‘The Jump’

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Check Also

Pro Sports Media

Trending Now

Warriors’ Jonathan Kuminga to miss preseason finale with injury

Jonathan Kuminga will not play in the Golden State Warriors‘ preseason finale on Friday versus the Portland Trail Blazers due to a right patellar tendon strain. Kuminga suffered the injury on Oct. 6 in the fourth quarter against the Denver Nuggets. The exact play when it occurred is not known but he left the game […]

Read More

Giants hurt by odd MLB rule in controversial NLDS loss vs. Dodgers

Odd MLB rule played role in Giants’ controversial NLDS loss originally appeared on NBC Sports Bayarea Perhaps it was fitting how the Giants’ season ended, done in by a controversial check-swing call in Game 5 of the National League Division Series after their power-packed offense went missing against the Los Angeles Dodgers. After all, the […]

Read More

Saudi-owned Newcastle begin bold bid for ‘superpower’ status

A new era beckons for Newcastle on Sunday when a packed St James’ Park will witness the Magpies’ first match since a takeover led by the Saudi sovereign wealth fund took control of the club. Amanda Staveley, one of Newcastle’s new directors, says the consortium’s ambition is to turn the struggling club into Premier League […]

Read More