Sunday, May 29 2022

Sergio Busquets said on Monday he was still in a “state of shock” after Lionel Messi’s departure as Barcelona prepare to start their first Champions League without the Argentinian since 2003.

Barca face Bayern Munich at Camp Nou in Group E on Tuesday and will begin the competition as outsiders following a traumatic summer transfer window.

Facing debts of more than a billion euros, the club let go 11 players, including Messi, who joined Paris Saint-Germain after being told his contract could not be renewed.

Messi scored 120 goals in 149 European games for Barcelona and won the tournament four times, in 2006, 2009, 2011 and 2015, the last three alongside Busquets.

“I felt like everyone else, I was in a state of shock, because of what Leo means for Barca and what he means personally to me and our families,” Busquets said in a press conference.

“I had emotions that were difficult to manage. But these are hard decisions that are not up to us and now we have to change the mindset.”

Busquets said Barcelona are beginning a “new era” without Messi and pointed to Chelsea’s surprise success last season as evidence of what is possible in the Champions League. “We are very ambitious,” Busquets said.

The 33-year-old also leant his support to Barcelona coach Ronaldo Koeman, whose future has again come under scrutiny after comments he made in the Dutch media last week.

Koeman said a lack of clarity over his future was “not pleasant” and accused the club’s president Joan Laporta of “speaking too much” for “suggesting the coach doesn’t have all the power”.

Asked on Monday about his relationship with Laporta, Koeman said: “My relationship with the president is good. If there are things to talk about, we talk about them.”

Barcelona take on Bayern for the first time since their humilating 8-2 defeat by the German champions in August 2020, after which Gerard Pique said the club “needed changes from top to bottom”.

“Several players suffered that night,” said Koeman. “It is something to take into account because now we have the chance to change it.”

ta/gj

Source: Yahoo Sports

Previous

Commentary: Max Scherzer could make Trevor Bauer a footnote in Dodgers history

Next

Mourinho ‘terrified the eternal memory’ of 1000th match would be loss (video)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Check Also

Pro Sports Media

Trending Now

Cubs, Seiya Suzuki face IL decision Sunday; Wade Miley call also looms

Cubs Seiya Suzuki (finger) face IL decision Sunday originally appeared on NBC Sports Chicago Cubs right fielder Seiya Suzuki held up his left hand with the taped finger and rocked it back and forth as if to say his pregame work went so-so Saturday as he tested the left ring finger he injured Thursday in […]

Read More

Reds’ Pham suspended 3 games for slapping Giants’ Pederson

San Francisco Giants outfielder Joc Pederson said Cincinnati Reds outfielder Tommy Pham slapped him prior to Friday’s series opener over a dispute about their fantasy football league. While the Giants warmed up in the outfield, Pham confronted Pederson and smacked him in the face before the players were separated. Pham said Saturday that he had […]

Read More

Reds’ Pham slaps Giants’ Pederson over fantasy football beef

San Francisco Giants outfielder Joc Pederson said Cincinnati Reds outfielder Tommy Pham slapped him prior to Friday’s series opener over a dispute about their fantasy football league. While the Giants warmed up in the outfield, Pham confronted Pederson and smacked him in the face before the pair was separated. Major League Baseball is investigating, and […]

Read More