Sunday, November 28 2021

A Saudi-backed takeover of Newcastle is set to get the green light from the Premier League despite warnings from Amnesty International on Thursday that the deal represents “sportswashing” of the Gulf kingdom’s human rights record.

A consortium featuring Saudi Public Investment Fund (PIF), PCP Capital Partners and billionaire brothers David and Simon Reuben struck a deal worth a reported £300 million ($408 million) to buy the club from unpopular owner Mike Ashley in April 2020.

However, the controversial takeover bid hit the rocks last year after an outcry from Qatar-based beIN Sports, a major television rights holder of the Premier League.

The broadcaster, which extended its rights to the English top-flight for the Middle East and North African region earlier this year until 2025 at a cost of $500 million, was banned by Saudi Arabia in 2017 at the start of a diplomatic and transport blockade of Qatar, which ended in January.

Tensions between the states have eased significantly this year and Saudi’s ban on beIN is set to be lifted, with Riyadh also seeking to settle Qatar’s $1 billion arbitration claim over pirate broadcasts to Saudi audiences by the BeoutQ network.

The PIF, chaired by Prince Mohammed bin Salman, widely known as MBS, is reportedly set to take an 80 percent stake under the proposed deal.

The takeover could transform the Magpies’ fortunes — despite regular attendances of 50,000 at St. James’ Park, Newcastle have not won a major trophy since 1969.

Current owner Mike Ashley has been deeply unpopular in his 13 years in charge, during which time the club have twice been relegated from the Premier League before bouncing back into English football’s lucrative top flight.

– Rights record –

But Amnesty has urged the Premier League to consider Saudi Arabia’s human rights record.

“Ever since this deal was first talked about we said it represented a clear attempt by the Saudi authorities to sportswash their appalling human rights record with the glamour of top-flight football,” Amnesty International’s UK chief executive Sacha Deshmukh said in a statement.

Saudi Arabia faced international condemnation following the brutal murder of Saudi dissident Jamal Khashoggi in the kingdom’s Istanbul consulate three years ago.

In February, US intelligence released a report that accused MBS of approving the murder, an assessment strongly rejected by the Saudis.

Newcastle, currently managed by former Manchester United defender Steve Bruce, are without a win in their opening seven games of the Premier League season and sit second-bottom of the table.

“Under this ownership there has been no ambition, effectively no investment and no hope for a sporting entity that hasn’t been a sporting entity. It’s been there to survive and nothing more,” a spokesman for the Newcastle United Supporters Trust (NUST) told AFP.

A recent poll by the NUST found 93.8 percent of fans were in favour of the takeover.

The transformation of Manchester City since a 2008 takeover from Sheikh Mansour, a member of the Abu Dhabi royal family, is the template for Newcastle to follow.

Prior to Abu Dhabi’s investment, City had not won a major trophy since 1976 but the English champions have now won five of the past 10 Premier League titles.

Huge investment into Newcastle would only intensify the battle at the top end of the Premier League for the title and lucrative Champions League places.

A competition tribunal case brought by Ashley ruled last month that the Premier League had been “improperly influenced” by other clubs when rejecting the takeover last year.

kca/jw/gj

Previous

Reports: $400 million Newcastle United takeover set to be completed

Next

Wild walk-off: Dodgers beat Cards to advance

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Check Also

Pro Sports Media

Trending Now

Evan Mobley injury update: Cavs rookie planning to return from elbow sprain on Saturday vs. Magic, per report

Getty Images Cleveland Cavaliers rookie Evan Mobley has been out since Nov. 15 with a sprained elbow, but according to The Athletic’s Shams Charania, he is expected to return to the lineup on Saturday against the Orlando Magic, assuming there are no setbacks in his recovery. That would put Mobley ahead of the initial 2-4 […]

Read More

MLB rumors: Alex Wood, Giants finalizing two-year, $20M-plus contract

Report: Wood finalizing two-year contract to return to Giants originally appeared on NBC Sports Bayarea Farhan Zaidi and Scott Harris made no secret of the fact that they wanted to get the 107-win Giants squad back together. They’re not wasting any time, either.  The Giants announced on Monday that they’re bringing Anthony DeSclafani back on […]

Read More

Wizards vs. Heat: How to watch, schedule, live stream info, game time, TV channel

Through 3 Quarters The Washington Wizards typically have all the answers at home, but the Miami Heat are posing a tough problem. The Heat currently hold a 75-71 lead. Miami has been riding high on the performance of small forward Jimmy Butler, who has 20 points in addition to five rebounds. One thing to keep […]

Read More